Confused about laser treatment and its effects on fibrosis

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Confused about laser treatment and its effects on fibrosis

Postby ma1290 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi everyone, I just recently found out about laser treatment and have been perusing through forums and articles for information regarding it.

I'm a little confused as to what kinds of lymphedema and what effects of lymphedema can supposedly be treated by laser treatment.

For example, in one of the threads I read, Patoco wrote "For lymphers like me who are missing nodes, have lymphatic distortions, fibrosis and the like; the results are not (in my opinion) going to be that great." Such suggests that fibrotic tissue won't be affected by laser treatment.

Then again, in one of the articles Patoco posted, I read, "we can detect areas of fibrosis and blockages and can target these areas with the laser, to get better results."

Having a lot of fibrotic tissue in my foot and some stage II tissue in my ankle and leg, I'm curious to know whether or not laser treatment could someday treat these fibrotic areas. I understand that no concrete answer can be given until the clinical studies come out, but in studies on laser treatment in arms, has fibrotic tissue been loosened or affected by laser treatment?

Thanks
ma1290

Postby patoco » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:56 pm

Hi Adamstarr

Think my statement is confusingly worded. :(

The best results have been with secondary arm lymphedema. There it does and has been beneficial in helping with the fibrosis

My statement about missing nodes, lymphatic distortions was thinking about leg lymphedema and more specifically hereditary lymphedema where the lymphatic system is badly formed to begin with.

Thus far the only studies I've seen have been on the arm...keep hoping that one will be done on the leg so we can have some more concrete info.

Hope this helps :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:33 pm

thanks that clears it up, I look forward to finding out more about it as more research is done.
ma1290

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema